Chairs vs. Pews
CHURCH INFORMATION SERIES BY CHURCHPLAZA
Over the past 27 years ChurchPlaza™ has been America’s leading provider of quality pews, chairs and theatre seating to churches. During that time, 45 national denominations, ministries and/or their publishing houses have endorsed and recommended ChurchPlaza™ to their churches for many reasons including our willingness to help churches understand the advantages and best application of each seating style. Our hope is this article on seating will help your church make a better informed purchasing decision regarding church seating.
Over the years we’ve observed the shift in seating choice popularity among church goers and today more than ever, churches are overwhelmingly choosing quality worship chairs over pews for the following reasons;
- Increased Seating Capacity - Research indicates the average pew user takes up 24 inches of lineal seating space. The average worship chair is 20 inches wide. This nets a 20% increase in available seating in a worship application while also providing increased handicapped seating access.
- Overall Comfort - Quality worship seating contains 3.5 inches or more of virgin foam with the back pitch generally more relaxed than most pew backs making for overall superior chair comfort.
- Multi-Use Space - Chairs allow for flexible configuration of space for a variety of uses and worship applications which can expand the utility of existing space and/or eliminate additional construction requirements and costs.
- Cost - Chairs are priced in the mid $30’s to $50’s per 20 inch seat while pews cost $65+ per lineal foot with 20% fewer available seats per application.
- Add On Seating - Chairs allow for easy expansion or reconfiguration of seating arrangements as needed.
- Attractiveness for Younger Families - It is a fact, younger families and people new to church appreciate the appearance, comfort and flexibility of chair seating over pews.
Pews have served churches well for many years and many still appreciate their tradition and beauty. But overwhelmingly, American churches are selecting the many practical advantages of worship chairs over pews.